Thursday 19 October 2006

Research rewards

I've spent the better part of this week contemplating how I need to conduct my PhD research. The project proposal is now taking shape with the what and why questions more or less answered. Now I'm focusing on the how and when.

Part of achieving a doctorate in a field is the inclusion of something novel in the research process - a new method, a new environment, a new model. For a while now I've been considering what the novelty or cutting-edge is in my project as it grows. The concept of ecosystem acidification is not new. Neither are the methods to assess the rate of the acidifying processes. Studies in the vicinity of my study site are not unique either. What's the difference that makes the difference? Perhaps its the time aspect, in this case. Since 'acid rain' was big news not much more research has been conducted in the area and given that rates of acid deposition are more likely to have increased than decreased over time, perhaps now is a good point to re-evaluate the status of the environment. There is another option, and before I shoot my mouth off about why I think it could be valid, I just want to check up on my thinking.

The point of today's ramblings? I'm making progress even if that progress is main based on question about how to move forward. Even though the mid-November deadline looms large, after Mary's inaugural lecture last night I am feeling energised and I have been reminded exactly why I'm back here and why I'm working with Mary and why I'm doing what I am. So now it's back to anthropogenic acidification and it's impact on water quality. Or as I framed it the other day: saving a small bit of the world in small chunks.

No comments: