Wednesday 4 March 2009

Earth Hour

For the last few weeks I've had Global change, including the media favourite, climate change, taking up substantial amounts of processing power. No I haven't developed the next GCM - but I have been facilitating the Global Change Honours course. The course hosts 4 of South Africa's top global change scientists, including 2 of the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize winners. Grant it, that was a sizable group of recipients.

One guest speaker suggested that for South Africa to reach the reduced emission targets, 50% will be about changes in technology and power generation and the rest would be up to the ethical choices you and I make. In our class discussion yesterday, we got on to the campaign trail and Earth Hour became a point of discussion.



Earth Hour asks everyone to switch off the lights and appliances in their homes and places of work for one hour on Saturday 28th March. Not a lot to ask to make a real statement about living more sustainably and making ethical choices. Have you signed up yet?

1 comment:

Allan said...

Hi Terri,
This is a great idea. I had forgotten it was coming up, but will mark it on my calendar. Thanks for the reminder.
Allan