Saturday 16 May 2009

You like me! You really really like me!

I don't suck! I'd like to thank the Academy for the award and thank you to all my adoring fans. You are the most awesome 3 people I know.

For the late bloomers this is kind of a blog-tag game. I was nominated for an awesome award. I find 7 reasons why I think I'm awesome and then I tag 7 more awesome people. So let's get down to the serious business.

The Chambers online dictionary defines awesome as: adj 1 causing awe; dreaded. 2 colloq completely and utterly wonderful. Let's continue with the second definition for now. In my humble opinion, "awesome" is an adjective that lives outside of me: scenery, works of art etc. I heard something lately about an increasingly "me" centred culture. So I'm doing this as a self-esteem building exercise as opposed to a 'centre of the universe' program. This seems a good place to start this list:

1. I believe I'm humble. This may stem from my dislike from being in the spot-light and how these types of commentaries make me feel like I'm writing my own obituary. The great news is that someone else will write my eulogy and they will get to say why they thought I was special. Today this task is mine. No Max (name changed to protect identity) this is not about self-esteem - it is part of my value system to be humble.

2. I know a heck of a lot of stuff, usually inane factoids. What I'm chuffed about is that I'm starting to make the links, sometimes obscure but links nonetheless, between some of these things I've learnt. I think this comes from my recent news junkie leaning (especially science news) and from tv doccies and from other life experiences. I love acquiring new knowledge. Sometimes I like applying it too.

(paused to ponder)

3. I like helping other people learn and get passionate about learning. Glancing over to the light switch there's a magnet that says: "To teach is to touch a life forever".

4. I expect good, no great, things from everyone. This includes students I teach, friends I make and all my family members. Sometimes because not everyone can achieve my exalted expectations, I'm left a little disappointed. My stuff not theirs. I still expect them to do their best and make their lives better.

5. I'm generally calm and collected. And I'm always on the look out for the positive. Positive intent or motivation, positive outcome, positive terminal (a little shock therapy never hurt anyone!).

6. I have a quick, if odd (see point 5), wit. Well, I make my sister laugh. She reckons I should have a comic strip.

7. I want to save the world. No small task. And entirely selfish. I'm not ready for a world predicted to have no Cape Town, no fynbos, wars over fresh water, searing heat and Armageddon-like storms. I believe each one of us can make a difference - even if we start the paradigm shift.

I'm proud of being dredging these seven traits that make me awesome for me. Even though I'm still feeling a bit camera shy about sharing them with the blogosphere. I've tagged 7 folks via email and will post links to their awesome acceptance speeches when I receive evidence.

2 comments:

Leia said...

Very nice!!! Well done on a good acceptance speech :)

Claire said...

wow - shoo! you never cease to amaze me how deep (and willing to self-examine) you are! You should add that to your list of things... I dont know if I can do this task justice :P right now I can only think of one thing... :P moeogoes! have a good day :0)